I have long promised a DIY on the box I made for my sister.
And finally its here.
Its taken some time because it was a huge work to count all the links to make a thorough DIY but got to do it in the end. :)
End result :
The box is big enough to contain 12 dvd's. Can be used to other stuff, but the idea started with it being for her hair thingies, which I think its being used for atm. :)
This isnt the easiest nor the most quickly thing to make. It requires a lot of time and some patience, would suggest to first try and make some purses or a basket to make sure you really want to spend your time doing this.
This is precise numbers for this exact size. They can always be changed, but if you change the size of the links the other numbers have to change aswel.
1. Make 2832 pieces of paper in the size 2,5 * 6 cm. (I used around 8 meters of gift wrapping paper.)
2. The paper has to be folded in to links, I switch through the different tasks so I dont mess my fingers up to much.
3. Make 2 "bottoms" like you would to a basket. Each has to be made from 10 squares.
4. Weave 11 rings with 156 links in each ring.
5. Sew 8 rings together on one of the "bottoms".
6. Sew 3 rings on to the other "bottom".
7. Make a small long "bottom" out of 64 links.
8. Sew the little long "bottom" on the small of the baskets (the one with 3 rings).
9. Sew the small "basket" together with the larger "basket" by using the small long "bottom".
10. Sew in the zipper, with it starting and stopping on each side of the small long "bottom".
Make sure that it always links together in the right way, its such a shame when you cant sew it together because its weaved opposite to eachother.
Good luck and have fun making your own box :)